Friday, March 9, 2012

I am a loan administration clerk. what's next?

Hi everyone



I have been doing syndicated loan operation for a while. I am really confused what I can do next.



My duties include: Handling loan drawdowns, rollovers, rate fixings and payments, monitoring loan events on the banks accounting system and resolving loan queries. My bank is just a small bank so I do not have any agent bank role experience.



Is it stupid if I keep staying in the same position? What kind of career path can I have? What can I do to help me find a better job?



I am also not sure if there is any qualification I should take. I am 32 years old already so a wrong qualification might be completely waste of time. I would really appreciate if anyone could give me some advice.



Thanks a lot



JoshI am a loan administration clerk. what's next?
You say you have been in the job 'for a while'. How long is that? Years? Months? Weeks? If you are happy in the job and enjoy it, what's wrong with staying where you are? Are looking for promotion within the company? If so, are there internal vacancies you could apply for? If not, or you are wanting to do something totally different, then it's up to you to decide what kind of work you should look for. Don't give up the one you already have until you are offered a new job though.

If you have been in your current job for less than 2 years I would stick at it and get some experience behind you. If you are the type of person who flits from one job to the next, staying only a short while in each, you will create a bad impression on your CV as someone who is unreliable and unlikely to remain loyal to a company, so they are less likely to bother offering you a job and waste time and money training you.

I think you are at a disadvantage in that you did not start working until 2 years ago ie you must have been about 30; either you spent the time up to age 30 in FTE or you have had some periods of unemployment. Either way, most people have entered the workplace well before 30, and have got several years' experience of work by the age of 30.
Any job that you apply for now is likely to require less qualifications than the ones you have, so that any potential employer will think that you will become bored with the job pretty quickly as you are obviously have an academic mind. Coupled with that, you have very little practical work experience.

I think you should stick with the job you have, to gain more work experience. By all means, look out for other banking or admin roles, but whether you will even get interviews remains to be seen. There is still a recession on, unemployment is high and I don't think getting any more qualifications is going to help you, unless it's a business-type qualification that you can do in your spare time and still work full time.

Sorry. I haven't heard of the CISI qualification, but if it's possible to do it and work at the same time it might be worthwhile, but I don't really know. For my part, I am educated to A Level standard; I did not want to go to university as I had had enough of studying. I started full time work aged 18, just 6 days after my last A Level exam. I stayed in the same Civil Service job (though at different offices) for over 16 years before becoming a full-time Mum and then returned to part time working when my children started school.

No comments:

Post a Comment